May 30, 2012

Interview With The Artist, Why I Do What I Do


I was recently contacted by a lovely student that had come across my artwork and wanted to write a school report on it and myself. Needless to say I was completely flattered and couldn't wait to oblige. It dawned on me that perhaps all of you would like a bit more insight into why I do what I do. So please enjoy this brief interview I shared with the student, Jasmine.


1.    What influences you to paint the things you do? Why?

I would say 90% of what I paint is what I call ‘prophetic art’. Prophetic art is art that is created from a direct connection with God. I often find while praying and or worshiping in song and dance that God gives me visions/pictures that I can see in my “mind’s eye” that have a specific meaning and truth to them.

The other 10% of my paintings, basic landscapes and such, I paint just to see if I can as well these are the kinds of paintings I teach to my private students who are often beginners.

2. What techniques do you use?

I am what you consider a self-taught artist. I have no formal or college training in art. I actually went to college for business tech/management and entrepreneurship. On that note, when painting, I mostly use acrylic mediums. I try to keep the strokes loose so that they can still be seen in the end product. As well, I often use mediums that enhance the texture of my paintings. I know that when I connect with a piece of artwork I immediately want to reach out and touch it and grasp a deeper connection with it, I want my viewers to do the same.

  3. Is there any important meanings behind your paintings? Do you have   
      any examples?

Yes, of course. Because most of my art is prophetic most   have meanings or stories that accompany them. I love telling a pieces story.


Examples:

Inspiration/Story Behind This Painting- Thine Princess
An expressionism portrait of my daughter, only an older version. Trinity is currently 3 years old but I see how she will blossom into a beautiful Princess of The King. All our daughters are divine beings and should always be reminded of that. This chunky #3 canvas contains the colorful expression portrait of my daughter; only an older version. Trinity is currently 3 years old but I see how she will blossom into a beautiful Princess of The King. All our daughters are divine beings and should always be reminded of that.


Inspiration- Breaking Chains
This started as a very complex vision in comparison to the final product.


My Minds Eye:
With eyes closed during a church service I am listening to people sing, Break Every Chain. I begin to see a vision...
I see thousands of men and women naked & dirty in an open field, bent over & chained to the ground. I also see an army of angels in white radiant suits of armor on the hill over looking the people. The army charges down the hill with swords raised. They rush into the crowed of helpless people and bring their swords down on their chains, shattering them and freeing the people.


Process Of Elimination:
The size of your canvas will have much to do with how much your idea will need to be simplified
What is the main point of this idea?
Being freed from the metaphorical chains by the power of the Lord.
So from that I can decide that one human form will suffice to make the point.
I will need chains.
I will need a sword, which will easily represent a cross as well to represent the spiritual metaphor.
Even the angel itself became something I could eliminate.
I used the swirls of color to also represent the metaphorical emotional & spiritual battle taking place. Doing this also created a focus on the figure, chains, & sword.


4. When did you first start painting?
        
My earliest memory of painting jeeze..I hate when artist say “oh, I   have always been an artist.” But I have fond memories of my finger paints from early childhood, mostly because they felt cool. My earliest memory of a prophetic painting though I have to say I was maybe 5-7 years old. I have only taken myself seriously as an artist over the past 2 years.
                 
5. What colors do you repeatedly use?  Why?

I find that I primarily use brighter more saturated colors and primary tinted tones. Usually, I have an emotion that I feel is represented by a particular color.

6. Do you have any wise words or tips for others who want to paint too?
 
I would say:

#1 experiment and find what mediums and techniques work best for you. Sign up for a couple classes with a local artist or art gallery. There is less commitment than a college course and I have always felt that college courses can reduce art to a technical medium rather than an emotional one.

#2 Paint what you feel, not what may be popular, be truest to yourself before all others. It will pay off in the end.

#3 Don’t under value yourself or your art. If you are not sure if you are any good… walk into your local art galleries and gift shops that feature local artist and ask to have the curator take a look. I have gotten much constructive criticism this way, as well as my art into the gallery. Always get more than one opinion. Art is interpretive and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

#4 Never Give Up!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts....