April 11, 2012

Custom Shoes 101


Shoe Customization 101

So.. you just couldn’t do it could you
In a recent post I helped you Know When To Break Up..With Your Shoes.
If you found that there were a couple pairs that you just couldn’t break-up with but are lookin’ a lil’ shabby maybe it’s time to give those babes a makeover!

I have a pair I had only worn once, they are comfy, AND they are Steve Madden’s
The silky material on the top part of the shoe had become picked & scuffed from a night out dancing.

So here is what I did.(EGORE, PAINT..BRUSHES..HURRY!! MUAHAHAHA)

1st I cleaned the entire shoe very very well. It is really important to work on a clean surface because, like with any paint job,  if you paint over the dirt n grime when it falls off..so will your nice paint job L

2nd I primed my shoe with a Black Gesso over the tops of my shoes (you can also use a black acrylic, gesso is matte & acrylic is glossy, your choice) I also used a damp rag to dab some of the gesso over the glitter of my heels, not necessary I just liked the way it looked. (make sure you have a small detail brush handy for those tight spots)


3rd I chose a metallic gold acrylic, to match the glitter already on my shoe, and again with a damp rag dabbed it into the acrylic and applied it atop the gesso in a circular motion working quickly but carefully to create a sheer coat over the entire material part of the shoe. (gave my pumps a great leather like look)

4th I black gessoed the soles of my shoes to prep the surface for a custom paint job.

5th I decided on a design and used a soft pastel/charcoal to sketch the design (you can also use a transfer paper like carbon paper)

6th I painted!

7th Sealer! MUST MUST MUST seal your shoes with a matte or gloss multi purpose sealer or all your work will have been in vain.

8th let dry for at least 24hrs THEN SHOW OFF YOUR ONE OF A KIND KICKS!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts....