March 15, 2012

Simplify Your Mind..Turning a Complex Idea Into a Tangible Painting.

Ever have an idea so complex you are not sure how to actually convey it in one simple still frame form?
Let me help you with that..


Let Me Start With An Example:
My most recent painting 'Breaking Chains', as seen in the last video post, started as a very complex vision in comparison to the final product. 


My Minds Eye: 
With eyes closed during a church service I am listening to people sing, Break Every Chain. I begin to see a vision...
I see thousands of men and women naked & dirty in an open field, bent over & chained to the ground. I also see an army of angels in white radiant suits of armor on the hill over looking the people. The army charges down the hill with swords raised. They rush into the crowed of helpless people and bring their swords down on their chains, shattering them and freeing the people.


Process Of Elimination: 
The size of your canvas will have much to do with how much your idea will need to be simplified
What is the main point of this idea?  
Being freed from the metaphorical chains by the power of the Lord.
So from that I can decide that one human form will suffice to make the point. 
I will need chains. 
I will need a sword, which will easily represent a cross as well to represent the spiritual metaphor.
Even the angel itself became something I could eliminate.
I used the swirls of color to also represent the metaphorical emotional & spiritual battle taking place. Doing this also created a focus on the figure, chains, & sword.















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts....