February 25, 2012

Make your mark

To be a truly successful artisan, I feel that you MUST be making a mark in your local community. By this I mean you need to get out there amongst the people. The people you are trying to sell to AND your co-artisans. After all, can you genuinely be satisfied as an artist without the crucial critiques,opinions, and insider advice of these people? Getting involved in your local artist association/s is one of the best ways to do this. You will meet others in your field that ARE thriving as independent artist and you can learn so much about what TO and NOT to do. As well, being involved in a well established organization can put you on the front lines of your LOCAL buying audience.


I just yesterday joined my 1st Artist association. 
Let me tell you how it went and what all I gained.
My journey first started with research. I googled all my local associations and artist venues. I logged all of these in my planner then began making phone calls. During my conversations I asked detailed questions about my options,(many artist associatons are non profit so they allow non member participation) costs, & benefits while taking notes. One thing I made a point at was that I wanted to start getting my work into the public eye and available for sale. The next week I went in for an appointment with a head director of one of my local organizations. I brought along a small variety of paintings to show case and it is do or die time. She and her assistant are ready to see what I'm really made of. Of course my nerves set in with the 1st unveiling but I remember that this IS what I want and I might not succeed my 1st time around. However, I did! Yea me! AND I gained some valuable info which I will detail on in a later blog post. For now I say good luck and start pursuing your dreams

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts....